Daniel (Dan) Fenton serves JLL Hotels and Hospitality in San Jose, California, as executive vice president. In leading the San Jose-based company, he draws on more than two decades of experience in the hospitality industry. Dan Fenton’s approach to successful business development includes a focus on enhancing the visitor experience, which is explored in the following list:
1. Take a human-first approach. Ensure that all policies and staff practices are based on a human-first approach. This entails not only focusing on visitor needs but also offering each visitor a warm and personable welcome. Instruct staff to make eye contact when speaking to visitors and to greet them with a smile and friendly attitude.
2. Create a personalized experience. For instance, ask your staff to go the extra mile by addressing guests by name, becoming acquainted with their purpose for traveling, and getting to know their interests.
3. Anticipate guest needs. Stay on constant alert for opportunities for improvement, and attempt to address guests’ concerns before they ask. This could mean offering assistance with luggage or providing cold water on a hot day. Make sure information is easy to find, and that guests are aware of all available services and amenities.
4. Offer on-site attractions. Proximity to attractions can significantly influence a hotel’s success, and those that offer on-site attractions have a distinct advantage. In addition to increasing revenue, on-site attractions give guests a reason to choose your hotel over others in the area.
5. Employ knowledgeable staff. Leisure and business travelers alike enjoy exploring the cities they travel to, and first-time visitors may be unfamiliar with what the area has to offer. Ensure that your staff knows the area well.